Thursday, November 3, 2016

Rabbitry Update

Three of my first-time does gave birth over the weekend:


Sylvia had 7 (10 total with 3 DOA, and lost one runt so her litter is down to 6 now).


Liriodendron also has 7 (she had 8 but lost one because she kept scattering the nest.



And Coralberry only had 4.



They are all doing pretty well for first-timers, and I'm loving the colors and patterns from these litters.

Lirio was the most clueless when it came to nest building, so I had to help her out several times. She would have lost her entire litter if it wasn't so warm.


She must have wasted a quarter bale of straw by digging it out of the cage every single time I filled the nest box. I finally closed up the front after her babies were born (I've found that first-timers are reluctant to use it if they have to jump over the side). She also didn't pull fur, so I had to borrow some from another doe.

The other two does had no problems with the nest boxes, and pulled plenty of fur.

Especially Coralberry. 


The kits are 4 days old and she is still pulling fur. Relax Coral, you only have 4 babies and it is 75 degrees outside.

Kaya's litter of 3 is already spoken for.


I have 3 more litters due later this month.

Sumac and Lobelia are due the 10th, and one of my newest NZ does, Nova is due on the 27th (bred to Big Boy).

I'll be eager to see whether Sumac took, since I've been worried she may have gotten too fat.

Lobelia is such a nice, compact doe. I'm excited to see her litter.


I love my new broken black buck Ace, but I find him to be a bit on the small side for a New Zealand.


So I will breed him to one of my biggest does later this winter and breed back to black to improve on size.

In addition to solid and broken black, I hope to incorporate blues as well.

I like where my rabbitry is headed, and I'm excited to have more space to expand.

I will continue to focus on New Zealands unless an opportunity presents itself to purchase a Creme buck (unless Turn finally decides he can do the deed again).

We are still in the process of moving. The septic system is still being installed, and then we need to enclose the new rabbitry in between packing and moving.


Our yard is pretty torn up and ugly at the moment, but it least it's dry (really, really dry) so it's not a muddy mess.

We were also pleasantly surprised to find that our soil is quite loose and well-drained, and largely free of rocks.


That's kind of a big deal for this area.

So the house will technically be live-in ready this weekend, and we will be actively moving in. 

Unfortunately we will have limited help, so I'm not sure how much we will get accomplished. But we shall see!


No comments:

Post a Comment