Saturday, April 5, 2014

Tough Decisions

Yesterday I test-bred COY to Turn. The results were in-conclusive. She wanted to, then she didn't. She mounted him, he mounted her from every angle...... oy. I figured rabbits were better at this.

So I'm not really convinced one way or another, whether or not she was already pregnant.

What I am convinced of, however, is that her pasteurellosis isn't going to just "go away."

After all of the breeding excitement I noticed a return of the snots. I spent a great deal of time at this webpage, where a longtime and well-respected breeder of standard Rex rabbits lays out her breeding program for eliminating pasteurella in her herd.

It's a simple fix, but not necessarily an easy one: cull, cull, cull.

So here's what I've decided:

I will let COY raise at least one litter. Any babies that get the snots, get culled. Any that are exposed and show no symptoms will stay in the breeding program. Then I will cull the old doe.

I will either separate COY & her litter from the rest of the herd, or isolate the new doe (does, hopefully) during this period.

So that's my decision, and I am at peace with it. Keeping rabbits going by pumping them full of antibiotics is doing nothing for the genetic integrity of the breed. Of course, I run the risk of losing all the rabbits. But I am willing to take that risk. I have confidence it is the right course of action.

So with that out of the way, let's focus on the positive....

Spring is really revving up!

Dutchman's Breeches blooming at the forest edge

Ian watching the chickens

yellow and blue violets

the hens enjoying their freedom 

chickweed, enjoyed by chickens and rabbits alike

Lucy disappearing under a tree after a critter

a bouquet for a rabbit

for me? why, thank you

[munch, munch, munch]

No comments:

Post a Comment