Thursday, April 17, 2014

Bunnies on the way?

Well, it looks like little bunnies are on the way!

I’ve had my doubts the past few weeks, but yesterday I was observing Coy while she was stretched out on the cage floor, belly flattened. I happened to notice little kicks and movements that were unmistakable. So I’m pretty well convinced at this point, despite the fact that she hasn’t passed the “straw test.”

So today or tomorrow I will disinfect the nesting box and put it in her cage. I also really need to disinfect the cage itself, which is a much more involved affair. Suspended cages would be much easier, because I could just remove the cage, wash it , and be done. But since the whole thing is one unit, I have to move the rabbits then drag the entire [heavy] thing out to scrub it down.

I’m not finding much motivation to do anything today. I've had a nasty cold for the past week, and Ian has also been having a snotty/stuffy nose. With all his extra night waking due to nasal discomfort, I am more exhausted than ever. Not just tired, but weak and fatigued.

On top of that I taught a class yesterday on Herps for the Tennessee Naturalist program. Ian was separated from me for two 2-hr intervals. Not the longest we've been apart, technically, but with him all stuffy and distracted from being in a new place, he refused to nurse the whole time we were there, a total of nearly 8 hours. So, that was very stressful for both of us.

So it was no surprise really when we woke up every 45 minutes all night. Even with Mark taking him around 5:30 and letting me sleep until nearly 9:00, I am soooo sapped. Mark informed me that I got extra sleep this morning. I informed him that it hardly counted as “extra.” Just SLEEP!

 And here we are, once again, back at square one. …….. must……………… sleep…………………….

While I'm excited about the arrival of bunnies, there is certainly a fly in the ointment. There is a chance that all the babies could become infected with Pasteurella and die. There's a chance the Baytril had a negative effect on them even. Or if they don't die from the get-go, they may become infected later, and I'll be forced to put them down.

I'm trying to remain positive about the situation. I've actually spent a great deal of time praying about it. Seems a little silly to pray over rabbits, I suppose. But this is an important project for us, and if I have no foundation stock, I have no rabbits. No rabbits, no home-grown meat. I've been looking forward to this endeavor for years now, and it's been really disheartening to deal with this disease. But, even with the worst scenario, it's a learning experience. I just hate for it to be costing us in the mean time.

So for now, I will focus on the miracle of this Resurrection Sunday. And be thankful.

(P.S: There are no pictures in this post because the rubber band that was holding our little old Nikon together finally broke, and I can't find a new one. Ha! Isn't that pathetic? :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment